vendredi 4 mai 2007

Bernadette Crockford



Bernadette Crockford, Concrete poetry, 1996

Le livre devient fleur, poèmes...
The book becomes flower, poems...

"The Artist Book "Concrete Poetry" was designed & printed in the Edition + Artist Book Studio in 1996. I was introduced to the Artist book by Peter Herel in 1993. Instantly I found my forte. Finally, I found a shell in which I could store my poetry. For years, I had been writing poetry that was not quite the norm. From the moment of discovering the Artist' book, I was determined to create a sculptural figure that resembled a book, which would have a surreal feel about it but still open and shut like an everyday book. After years of designing and making numerous amounts of artist books, I came to the design of Concrete Poetry. It triangular shape can still open out quare like a normal book, but can also change its structure to resemble shapes. The Artist book is not meant to be handled as a normal reading book. They are fondled only with white cotton gloves in the presence of others. My primary thoughts were to make an artist book that could be touched and handled by anyone whom desired. However after the amount of hours that went into the creation of Concrete Poetry, I too only want it to be carefully touched with those dreaded white cotton gloves. Summing up, I made a sculptural 3D book to encase the text. In my thoughts, I was breaking all traditional ways of book making." From Queensland Digital Library

http://enc.slq.qld.gov.au